Dividing Fences

A dividing fence is a fence that separates the lands of neighbouring owners. Information on issues associated with dividing fences can be found at the Law Access website using this link.

Although NSW Law Access is not involved in settling disputes regarding dividing fences, the website provides some options for you to consider.

If you are planning on building a fence that is more than 1.8 metres high, you need to apply to Council. Front fences and side fences facing a road more than 1.2 high also require Council approval.

For more information, phone NSW Justice Law Access on 1300 888 529.