Waste and Recycling

Domestic Kerbside Collection Service

Kyogle Council’s current domestic kerbside collection service contractor is Solo Resource Recovery. General waste collected in Council’s split bins is disposed of at the Kyogle Landfill Facility.

Recycling collected is transported to the Materials Recovery Facility at Chinderah, where it is sorted and bailed ready for transport to other facilities where it is turned into new packaging products.

Council is often asked how the split-bin system works.

The truck used by Solo is vertically divided down the middle.

A flap in the opening at the top of truck aligns with the divider in your garbage bin, ensuring that garbage goes into the left side of truck and recycling into the right.

The rubbish compartment also has a door at the back of the truck.

This door contains the rubbish so that it doesn’t contaminate the recycling when it is emptied out of the truck, pictured.

Waste Facilities

Kyogle Council currently operates one landfill at Kyogle and three waste transfer stations at Woodenbong, Bonalbo and Mallanganee. Information about each of Council’s facilities, including opening hours, is provided below.

Please note, all Council waste facilities are closed on public holidays and Council’s Union Picnic Day.

Kyogle Landfill Facility
Runnymede Road, Kyogle, NSW, 2474:  phone 02 6632 3002
Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 7.30am- 12 noon
Saturday and Sunday: 9am-4pm

Bonalbo Transfer Station
Woodenbong Road, Bonalbo, NSW, 2469: phone 02 6665 1428
Opening hours
Wednesday: 9am-4pm
Saturday: 9am-4pm

Mallanganee Transfer Station
Bruxner Highway, Mallanganee, NSW, 2469: phone 02 6664 5246
Opening hours
Thursday: 9am-4pm
Sunday: 9am-4pm

Woodenbong Transfer Station
Mt Lindesay Highway, Woodenbong, NSW, 2476: phone 02 6635 1500
Opening hours
Tuesday: 9am-4pm
Saturday: 9am-4pm

Community Recycling Centre

Kyogle Council operates a Community Recycling Centre (CRC) located at the Kyogle Landfill Facility. The CRC is a drop-off centre for common household problem wastes that can’t be collected via council kerbside waste and recycling collection services. Residents can drop off problem wastes at the CRC year round, free of charge, including:

  • Paint
  • Gas bottles
  • Motor oil
  • Other oil
  • Car batteries
  • Household batteries
  • Smoke detectors
  • Fluro light bulbs and tubes
  • Fire extinguishers.

Community Recycling Stations

Kyogle Council also has two Community Recycling Stations located in the Kyogle Library and the Bonalbo Community Hall. Residents can drop off small quantities of household alkaline batteries, printer cartridges, mobile phones, compact fluro light bulbs and eye wear such as sunglasses and prescription glasses at the stations.

Tip Shop

Kyogle Together operates the Kyogle Tip Shop, located at the Kyogle Landfill Facility. Members of the community can donate any unwanted goods and materials to the Tip Shop including:

  • whitegoods and household appliances
  • building, construction and renovating materials
  • tools and gardening equipment
  • toys and sporting equipment
  • home decoration items
  • second-hand furniture
  • car and bike parts and accessories.

Donated items are resold as is, or upcycled to create new goods for sale, with all profits going to support further projects, activities and events aimed at reducing waste, increasing recycling and improving environmental education within the community.


Often people ask about what can be recycled in their domestic garbage bins.

Recycling right is easy. Keep it simple by only putting hard plastic bottles and containers, glass bottles and  jars, steel and aluminium cans, and paper and cardboard into your recycling bin.

If your plastic bottle or container has a triangle with recycling code 1 -7 in it, it can be recycled.

If in doubt, leave it out.

All soft plastics including plastic bags, plastic wrapping, chip packets and bread bags can’t go into recycling.

The biggest mistake people make is putting their recycling into a plastic bag and then putting it into their recycling bin. A good rule of thumb is if you can scrunch it up into a ball, it can’t go into your recycling.

You can bag up your soft plastics and take them to a Woolworths or Coles Supermarket for recycling through REDcycle. A full list of soft plastics accepted by REDcycle is available at www.redcycle.net.au.

All lids must be removed from bottles, jars and containers.

If the lid is larger than a credit card, put it into your recycling bin separately. If the lid is smaller than a credit card, put it in the garbage.

Plastic drink bottle lids and milk bottle lids (with recycling code 2 or 4 under the lid), and bread tags can be dropped off at the Kyogle Library. The lids and bread tags are donated to Lids 4 Kids and Bread Tags for Wheelchairs, who recycle the lids and bread tags into prosthetic hands and wheelchairs for disadvantaged children.

Please just make sure the lids and tags are separated and clean.

Please rinse or wipe out containers of excess food and drink before putting them into the recycling bin. A good tip is to rinse your containers in the washing up water when you are finished doing the dishes, so you aren’t wasting clean water.

 Illegal dumping

Illegal dumping is the disposal of waste on private or public land where no licence or approval exists to accept such waste. It varies from small bags of rubbish in an urban environment to larger scale dumping of materials in isolated areas, such as bushland.

The illegal dumping of waste has many social, financial and environmental implications for local councils.   Kyogle Council spends considerable funds each year cleaning up and disposing of illegally dumped waste.

You can help stop illegal dumping by using RID Online, a statewide initiative that enables the public to report illegal dumping incidents. Using your phone or computer, you can report illegal dumping in just a few minutes and a few easy steps.

Your report is automatically sent to Council so that it can be investigated and cleaned-up as quickly as possible. If you aren’t phone or computer savvy don’t worry – you can still report illegal dumping by phoning Council with the location and type of rubbish that has been dumped.

On the spot fines start at $4,000 or $15,000 for those illegally transporting or dumping asbestos.

To report illegal dumping visit www.ridonline.epa.nsw.gov.au or contact Council. To find out more about the responsible disposal of waste and how to stop illegal dumping visit www.illegaldumping.com.au.