Disaster and Emergency
During an emergency or disaster it’s important to know who you can call for help, or how you can get the latest update on emergency situations.
- For live updates on road closures visit Live Traffic NSW for local closure information
- For live radio updates across the Northern Rivers, tune into ABC Local Radio
- If you require emergency assistance please call NSW SES on 132 500 or Triple Zero The SES is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Weather updates and flood warnings visit the Bureau of Meteorology
- Total fire bans visit the Rural Fire Service (note that Kyogle is included in the NSW Fire Area 1)
- Fires Near Me displays all bush and grass fires attended by fire services in NSW and other incidents attended by NSW Rural Fire Service attendees.
- For power outages visit Essential Energy for updates or contact 13 20 80 for emergencies or 13 23 91 for enquiries.
- To prepare for disasters, visit the NSW Government’s Get Ready website.
- Recovery Services – Disaster Welfare Services can provide relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household items have been destroyed or damaged by a declared natural disaster. People with limited financial resources and no insurance may be eligible for assistance for essential household items and structural repairs to the home. For details of other assistance schemes, please visit Emergency NSW or call State Disaster Welfare on 1800 018 444.
- For information on how to survive periods of extreme heat, visit NSW Health’s Beat the Heat website.
Council’s Disaster Dashboard provides an easy to use source of emergency information. You might also find information relevant to you on our neighbouring Council’s Disaster Dashboards.
- Kyogle Disaster Dashboard
- Lismore Disaster Dashboard
- Tweed Disaster Dashboard
- Richmond Valley Disaster Dashboard
- Tenterfield Disaster Dashboard
NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) – Bushfire Safety
A well prepared home is more likely to survive a bushfire. The NSW Rural Fire Service provides the community with relevant information in order to be prepared in the event of a bushfire.
- If you need advice on current major incidents or total fire bans you can contact the Bushfire Information Lineon 1800 679 737, view the Fires Near Me website or download the app for iOS or Android
State Emergency Service (SES)
The SES provide a range of information for the community in order to plan and prepare, provides updates during bad weather and how to go about undertaking the recovery process after a storm. The website also provides the ability to view the current NSW SES warnings in your area as easily as entering your suburb or postcode.
- For emergency help in a flood or storm call 132 500.
Fire & Rescue NSW
Are you fire safe in the home? Do you have a written escape plan in case of fire, and practice it regularly?
- Visit Fire & Rescue NSW to complete your Home Fire Safety Checklist
- Fire & Rescue also have Community Fire Safety Fact Sheetscontaining detailed information relating to the prevention of many types of fires and fire related risks.
NSW Police Force
A large number of break and enter crimes are easily preventable. The NSW Police Force provides information on simple and inexpensive changes you can make to your home mond Valley Emergency Dashboardto ensure it is safe and secure.
- For all emergencies call Triple Zero 000
- For non-emergencies call 131 444
- Crime Stoppers call 1800 333 000
When disaster hits, NSW Government and emergency management agencies will try to help but you need to get ready as well.
Every year flood, fire and other disasters affect peoples’ lives and may cause millions of dollars in property damage. Being prepared can save lives and help you and your family make better decisions when disaster strikes.
Are you ready?
Visit the Office of Emergency Management ‘Get Ready NSW‘ website