Flood disaster assistance – updated 7 March 2022

For information on all available disaster assistance, please call Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/floods/financial-assistance
Service NSW customer care specialists can help connect flood-affected customers with services and support information including:
  • access to emergency accommodation
  • relevant charitable services
  • mental health and wellbeing services
  • financial assistance
  • insurance and legal advice
  • replacing lost identification.

Types of Financial Assistance Available

The Disaster Relief Grant helps people to recover from the effects of a disaster and re-establish a basic standard of living. It is not provided to replace insurance or compensate for losses. You may be eligible for financial support if the following apply:

  • your home (primary place of residence) was damaged by a natural disaster
  • you do not have insurance for the damage
  • you are a low-income earner with limited financial resources
  • it has been less than four months since the disaster.

Phone 13 77 88 and ask about the Disaster Relief Grant administered by Resilience NSW.

This is an NSW Government grant, available at any time to eligible individuals or households. It is administered by Resilience NSW. For further details follow this link.

Disaster Recovery Payment: $1,000 for adults and $400 for children
The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off, non-means tested payment of $1,000 for adults and $400 for children, who have been seriously injured, lost their homes or whose homes have been directly damaged, or the immediate family members of a person who has lost their life, as a direct result of the storms and floods. This is an Australian Government disaster assistance payment.
Visit Services Australia by following this link to find out if you are eligible or phone 180 22 66.

Disaster recovery funding and business support

The NSW Government and Australian Government are working together to provide flood assistance and support.
Over 70 local government areas (LGAs) have been declared disaster areas since November 2021 and are eligible for support.

The assistance available includes:

  • concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations
  • freight subsidies for primary producers.

Businesses impacted by storms and floods from January to March 2022 can request to be notified when financial support is available from the NSW Government by completing an online form.

For more information and to stay up to date on all available business support, please visit the storms and floods business information hub on the Service NSW website.

Flood affected land managers – stock and infrastructure assistance

Local Land Services teams are on the ground to help connect land managers with the services and support they need right now.

The NSW Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services work together to manage the effects of emergencies on agriculture, livestock and our community as Agriculture and Animal Services Functional Area – AASFA.

They offer a dedicated hotline for producers to call to report damage and stock losses, as well as request assistance. The AASFA Hotline is 1800 814 647.

Available help includes:

  • Emergency fodder
  • Veterinary assistance
  • Stock destruction and burial
  • Livestock feeding and management advice.

Primary producers who are now starting to gain access to their paddocks are encouraged to report damage, including stock and fodder losses, as well as damage to farms, fencing and other farm infrastructure.

Animal Welfare

Floodwaters and wet conditions can cause a wide range of livestock health issues, even for some time after the waters have subsided.
Livestock that have been standing in water for some time, or that have been submerged, are most at risk of developing disease issues and should be monitored closely.

Staff will assess animals and euthanise those that are too badly injured for treatment in consultation with the owner. Animals may still require care by a commercial veterinarian rather than government vets once assessed. Any ongoing treatment required by a commercial veterinarian will be at the cost of the owner.

Safe disposal of drowned livestock

Members of the public who encounter a deceased animal can report it to the Agriculture and Animal Services hotline on 1800 814 647.

Fences down / fence repair

Where damaged fencing creates an immediate public safety hazard, landholders should contact the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.

Primary producers whose fencing has been damaged may be eligible for Special Disaster Grants of up to $75,000 to help with the cost of repairs. Contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority for more details on 1800 678 593.

Funding for landholders – Loans, Grants, Subsidies 

NSW Rural Assistance Authority (RAA) 1800 678 593 is administering the following:

Funding arrangements for declared natural disasters with category explanations are listed here> https://www.raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-assistance/declarations