Assessment Processes

Most types of building, subdivision and demolition work requires a Development Application (DA) to be submitted to Council for approval.The following information provides a brief outline of the Development Process.

Most types of building, subdivision and demolition work requires a Development Application (DA) to be submitted to Council for approval. The following information provides a brief outline of the Development Process.

When is a Development Application Required?
Before you make any changes to a building or occupy premises, you need to check with Council whether the proposal is "Development" and requires the consent of Council. Some minor works called "Exempt Development" may not require approval provided it meets certain criteria included in the Kyogle Council's Exempt Development Control Plan 1998. All other development requires the submission of a Development Application with the consent authority.

What is required with a Development Application?  Firstly you should visit or contact Council's Planning & Environment Department and check with the staff:

Lodging a Development Application
Council's Development Application form contains a detailed checklist regarding what is required to be submitted.

State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 specifies exempt development under that policy. The Codes SEPP has state-wide application and commence 27 February 2009. Consequently, from that date the exempt development provisions (for the development types covered by the Codes SEPP) in DCP 11 will no longer apply. A copy of the Codes SEPP is available at For further information please email or call the Department of Planning’s Information Centre on 9228 6333.  Please note that the Codes SEPP also contains new Complying development standards for certain categories, which may be used as an alternate to DCP 12 for the period of one year commencing 27 February 2009.

Downloadable forms are available here.

The checklist is intended to ensure that Council has sufficient information to determine the likely impacts of a proposal, including compliance with codes and policies. Such information may include, but is not limited to:

How is a Development Application Assessed?
Initial enquiry
You should discuss the proposal with an officer from Council's Planning and Environment Department before lodging a DA. During this initial enquiry, you need to determine the processing requirements of your proposal and what information should be included in the DA.

DA Lodgement
It is a requirement of the EP&A Act and the Regulation that the DA is correctly lodged. Applicants must complete the Kyogle Council Development Application Form and pay a set fee before the DA will be receipted. In most cases a Statement of Environmental Effects and plans that describe the development proposal will need to be submitted with the DA.

You are required under section 147(4) or (5) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 to disclose any political donations or gifts. A disclosure statement of a reportable political donation or gift must accompany a planning application or submission if the reportable donation or gift is made within 2 years before the application or submission is made. If the donation or gift is made after the lodgement of the application, a disclosure statement must be sent to the relevant consent or approval authority within 7 days after the donation or gift is made.

Preliminary Assessment Once a DA is lodged with Council an officer will check its consistency with the requirements of any local, regional or state planning instrument, or other planning regulation that relates to the site or the proposed development. It is at this stage that the Applicant may be asked to provide additional information to assist with the assessment of the proposal.

If required under Council's Notification Policy 2002 the DA may be publicly exhibited and/or nearby landowners notified. Consultation may also be carried with other government authorities or service agencies that have an interest in the DA.

The application will be assessed, taking into account:

The Decision
The DA will either be approved or refused by the consent authority. If the application is approved, the consent will usually set out conditions that the Applicant must fulfil. The applicant can challenge Council's decision if he/she is dissatisfied with it.

Approval to begin work
If the development involves construction work (for example a building, road or stormwater drainage system for a subdivision), the Applicant must apply to Council or an accredited certifier for a construction certificate. The construction certificate certifies that the work the Applicant intends to do will comply with required standards. The Applicant needs to provide detailed designs and documentation with their application for a construction certificate. This detail must be consistent with the plans lodged with the DA and it must be clear that any building work will comply with the Building Code of Australia.

Principal Certifying Authority Appointed
Before any work can start, the Applicant must choose a principal certifying authority (PCA). This can be Council or an accredited certifier. The PCA will make sure that the work is done in accordance with the development consent and approved construction plans. At least two days before starting work, the Applicant must notify Council that work is going to start, and who is the PCA, if it is not the Council.

Approval to Occupy
Before moving into a new building or registering a subdivision with Land and Property Information NSW, the Applicant must obtain from the PCA:

Compliance Check
Council will monitor the finished development to make sure that local planning policies, and decisions made under those plans, are achieving their desired outcomes. If the development does not comply with the development consent, the Applicant can be:

Right of Review
An applicant can request Council to review its determination of a development application within 28 days after the date of determination. Any request for a review is required to be accompanied by a set fee.

Appealing Rights
An applicant who is dissatisfied with a decision can:

As a member of the public you have certain rights under the EP&A Act in regard to how a development application is assessed and determined. (For details see the EP&A Act)